Chart - Brown's Stages of Language Development

Stage I Sentence Types

Operations of Reference

Examples

Communicative Intent

Nomination That car That is a car.
Recurrence More juice There is more juice.
Negation - denial No wee wee I did not do a wee wee.
Negation - rejection No more I don't want more.
Negation - non-existence Birdie go The bird has gone.

Semantic Relations

Examples

Communicative Intent

Action + Agent Daddy kiss Daddy is kissing.
Action + Object Push truck Pushing the truck.
Agent + Object Man hat The man (wears) a hat.
Action + Locative In bath I am in the bath.
Entity + Locative Dolly bed The dolly is on the bed.
Possessor + Possession (object) Kim car Kim's car.
Entity + Attributive Water hot The water is hot.
Demonstrative + Entity This train THIS train (not THAT train).




















Brown's Stage I

Between 12 and 26 months, children are expected to have MLUm's (mean length of utterance measured in morphemes) of about 1.75 morphemes (range 1.0 to 2.0 morphemes). Their MLUm’s gradually increase as they acquire more language.
In Stage I, just after they have built up a 50 to 60 word vocabulary, children acquire the ability to produce the Stage I sentence types, outlined in the table above. The column headed 'communicative intent' includes examples of what the child might have said if they were mature enough to talk in full sentences.

Brown's Stages ("Brown's Morphemes") I to IV

As children's MLUm increases their capacity to learn and use grammatical structures of greater complexity increases. They move from Stage I into Stage II, where they learn to use "-ing" endings on verbs, "in", "on", and "-s" plurals. They then proceed to Stages III and IV.
Brown's StageAge in MonthsMean MLUmMLUm RangeMorphological
Structure
Examples
______________________________
Stage I12-261.751.0-2.0Stage I Sentence Typessee above
Stage II27-302.252.00-2.5    
1       Present progressive (-ing) it going
2       inin box
3       onon box
4       s-plurals (regular plurals) my cars
Stage III31-342.752.5-3.0    
5       Irregular past tense me fell down
6       's possessive man's book
7


 
      Uncontractible copula (the full form of the verb to be when it is the only verb in a sentence)Is it Alison?
Yes, it is.
Was it Alison?
Yes, it was.
Stage IV35-403.53.0-3.75    
8       ArticlesA ball on the book.
9       Regular past tense She jumped.
10
 
      Third person regular, present tense The puppy chews it.
Jason likes you.
Stage V41-46+4.03.75-4.5    
11       Third person irregular She does. He has.
12


 
      Uncontractible auxiliary (the full form of the verb 'to be' when it is an auxiliary verb in a sentence)Are they swimming?
Were you hungry?
I'm not laughing; she is.
She was laughing; not me.
13


 
      Contractible copula (the shortened form of the verb 'to be' when it is the only verb in a sentence)She's ready.
They're here.
Daddy's got tomatoes.
My dog's lost his collar.
14



 
      Contractible auxiliary (the shortened form of the verb 'to be' when it is an auxiliary verb in a sentence)They're coming.
He's going.
I'm opening it up.
We're hiding.
It's freezing.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voice & Vagal Perturbations

Picky Eater - Orofacial Myology